MANGO BBQ SAUCE
We are going to be cooking up something great tomorrow night. This recipe is loaded with healthiness!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 of 15- oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup water
16 – oz. can tomato paste
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup unsulfered organic molasses
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1) Heat olive oil in a skilled or pot set on medium – high heat.
2) Add onion, garlic and mango. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes
3) Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to boil on medium – high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer or low for 30 minutes, stirring often.
4) Remove skilled from heat and allow to cool uncovered for 30 minutes
5) Transfer 2 cups of the cooled sauce to a blender ( this should fill your blender no more than half way). Puree on high to thoroughly combine and liquefy all ingredients.
TIP: Keep your hand on the lid while blending. It’s also a good idea to hold a folded paper towel over the lid to prevent spillage. If the sauce is still arm warm, it may cause the lid to pop off or the sauce to squirt out from the top.
6) Once all the sauce has been pureed, transfer to storage jars or containers. Label, date and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrients per serving (2 tbsp):
Sodium 45 mg
Total Carbs: 5 g
Sugars: 3 g
Health Benefits of each ingredient in recipe (you definitely want to read this)
> olive oil (protect against heart disease)
> yellow onion(high in sulfur, chromium and vitamin B6, and also been linked with protecting the heart from heart disease)
> cloves garlic (relaxes blood vessels and increase blood flow to lower heart disease risk)
> mango (phenols, the phenolic compound have powerful antioxidant and anticancer abilities)
> tomatoes (Good source of vitamin A & C and linked with preventing cancer & heart disease)
> maple syrup (manganese [helps build bones] and zinc [immune system, digestion, control of diabetes, improves stress], natural antioxidants, and helps prevent damage to the heart)
> unsulfered organic molasses (iron and copper, as well as potassium, … which in turn benefits the heart tissues)
SOURCE: OXYGEN MAGAZINE
Speak Your Mind